Monday, August 15, 2005

The president's address

Caught the president’s address. What I liked that instead of preaching communal harmony or tolerance, on the eve of Independence day, he plunged head on into a major problem and came up with ways to tackle it. The president addressed the energy problem, and it was an approach that everyone was familiar with. What I liked was that he didn’t rule out the economically unviable option of solar energy. The abilities of solar power harnessing, at that point of time when all the hoopla was created over it was exaggerated. The market was created, and an eco-friendly way of powering a house became to be well known. Unfortunately, due to the limited research, the solar cells could only harness around 30% of the solar energy at that point of time. So on the whole, setting up solar panels in every household proved to be a costly affair. Since the popularity of such panels and devices powered by such panels bombed after the first couple of years, the funding for solar power research bombed. Now it is mostly considered to be a dead field, which has no potential. I am very glad that the president thought that there was still potential in the solar power field. If India does do research in the field, and advances the most, then we can find it very profitable for our country, since no other country is actively promoting research in that field. I am very glad that the president thinks energy independence is important.
I am sure that when Manmohan Singh addresses the country tomorrow, he will also speak of economic self reliance and ways to reduce the debt and how to further develop India’s economy. Very happy with the pair of them.

Things that need to be blogged but do not require posts of their own:
Saw parts of Bride and Prejudice. It is not as stupid as my friend who watched it made it out to be. But the songs are really messed up…

I am thinking of a “traveling by train blog” where I chronicle my adventures of traveling by the Mumbai locals every single day. Seems like a fun idea.

Sify has come decided to show up again, so I don’t have to rely on MTNL anymore. This also means that I can finally catch up to all the blogs I haven’t read. I think I need to put up a blogroll…

No comments: