Sunday, October 30, 2005

Bangalore

The garden city has changed a lot. Seen it using google earth and it did not exactly come across as green. Seeing it first hand, and it has changed drastically since the last time I was here.
I used to remember, every time I used to come over here as a kid, there used to be a cool, refreshing air about the city. There used to be a characteristic smell, and a sense to the whole city that I cannot explain. Now, it feels like I am still at Mumbai. The pace has become as frantic. This might not seem as a very recognizable thing to someone who has lived in the same city or similar cities for a long time, but it is pretty noticeable when it comes to Bangalore. For example, shopkeepers no longer small talk you.
The Bus service is pretty efficient, although the frequency is not too good. The roads, are however, horrible. In Mumbai, the drivers were rash and arrogant, but when in a mess, they all worked together to make the situation better. In Bangalore, the mentality is that if I can't get my way, you can't either. In Mumbai, there is a complete lack of road sense, but no lack of skill. Bangalore drivers lack both road sense as well as skill. I drove with my aunt and uncle for about forty minutes, witnessed five jams, and it took a longer time to get sorted out because each subsequent vehicle thought that it could squeeze through.

Much more to blog, particularly pics from google earth at home. There are a whole bunch of notes that I haven't put up here... more to come after the vacations. Might not be able to blog tomorrow, going to a place where I might not have access to the net.

No comments: