Friday, February 17, 2006

First Impressions

I am one of those people who is prejudiced against Bride and Prejudice just because pretty trustworthy friends have told me that the movie sucks. I have seen little of the movie, and somehow, I guess I must watch it before making any judgement, and I even sometimes wonder if one is necessary at all.

Also, like Narnia, I guess I better read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice soon.

Anyway, the movie was a good expirience, well made, and made you hope that Austen would be around in feminist times. The movie was actually hilarious with various digs at class, society, and the rare one at gender, mostly through the rampant tongue of the Protagonist, elizabeth bennet (Kiera Knighttley). The story showed that women married for different reasons, Charlotte Lucas marries William Collins for security, Mary Bennet, I guess marries not out of love, but out of status and wealth to mr. Bingly (who, in turn, really loves Mary, but Darcy dissuades him from doing so either on the grounds of class or on the grounds that Mary is marrying him for his wealth - it is unclear), Lydia and Wickham marry because of excitement of gettting married on the part of Lydia, and Greed on the part of Wickham, and finally Liz and Mr. Darcy marry out of love, irrespective of the class or wealth of the other.
one might assume that 'Pride and Prejudice' speaks against its existence in society, which is a mistake, because it is a simple case of Pride, in the case of Darcy, and Prejudice in the case of Liz, which keeps them from loving each other. When they both set these aside, they hit it off.

The casting was confusing with the little girl (Jena Malone) from stepmom and life as a house showing up and getting married, being a perfect little bitch, Rosamund Pike being oddly familiar for some movie which I just cannot recollect (I do now, the bad bond chick - Miranda Frost from Die another day), but when I first saw her, I thought she would me a more famous actress with a more recognizable name, Matthew Macfadyen looked like Hugh Jackman, and Rupert Friend looked like Orlando Bloom. Not a big mistake to make if you image google them.



Macfadyen and Jackman



Bloom and Friend

3 comments:

Mihir said...

looking forward for this one... must be good... but reading the book i guess is bad idea... anyways well written dude...

Anonymous said...

Nothing can beat the song and dance sequence in English. It was hillarious and brought the whole movie house down.

Anorion said...

@Mihir: Why is the book a bad idea? I am half way through it... seems to be a pretty good idea.

@Hiren: Liz brought the house down everytime she spoke to anyone of higher class.