Monday, April 17, 2006

Bus Journey

I was practically forced out of the city, and came here on a bus ride. The only trouble with a Volvo is the lack of a pissing facility, which makes the driver stop the bus at random intervals in the middle of the night, in accordance with the fancies of the bladders of the thirty passengers.



The bus that was supposed to come at five thirty arrived half an hour late, and the new curvy 7up bottle was marketed to me pretty damn strongly by some kid who tried to talk in English. The guy in front of me was excited and/or highly confused by the seat, with all its complex hydraulics adjusted the backrest and the footrest. He looked like he was doing one of those stupid dance moves with inane hip movements and finally subsided and rested in a position that blocked circulation to my knees. Then obviously, I had to adjust my seat, and I understood why he appeared to be excited and/or highly confused. The seat-hydraulics were SUPER SENSITIVE. A push this way and I had my nose in the back of his seat, and one push the other way I was parallel to the floor. Ok almost. A compromise was achieved at some arbitrary point midway and I settled down for the rest of the ride.



They showed three movies I never wanted to watch in the ride, Life ho to Aisi, Garam Masala and some Vivek Oberoi, Rimi Sen, and children of dubious parentage movie that I could not recognize.



I was sleeping most of the way, and had frequent piss breaks only when others wanted to, so that no one would get irritated at me.



Passed through the fields of the country on the way, and let me tell you something, India is B-E-A-utiful. Except there was this school which had pictures of National Leaders in a row over its walls in small circles. Subash Chandra Bose, Chacha Neheru, Mahatma Gandhi, Lal Bahadur Shastri and Donald Duck to name a few.

No comments: