Friday, February 18, 2022

Picking up a pair of eyeballs

So Im in Mumbai, and a friend who is an opthal asked me if I wanted to come to the airport with him to pick up some eyeballs. It was to be a late night drive, leave at around 11:30, go pick up the eyeballs by 12:30, come back by around 1:30 and call it a night. 

Sounded like a good plan, so I went along for the ride, not knowing that it would turn out to be an adventure. This is because when we went to the airport we found that the flight wasn't going to come in till 4:30 am! Now, I suggested the idea that we head to a hotel nearby and stay the night. The first place we went to was priced at 3,900 for the night, we said F that, and went down the road and found another place with a more reasonable 1,200 for the few hours. We checked in and slept on this bed. 


A few hours later, when he woke me up, I was startled to wake up in an unfamiliar environment, and pulled a punch at my friend. It took me a few seconds to realise who he was and I calmed down. He later said that that kind of stress is not good for me. 

Anyway, staying at the hotel was a good move, because my friend would have had to go home and come back early morning, making him groggy the whole day. 

We went to the airport a bit late at 5:30, to the Air India cargo hold, and got the two eyeballs. Im not sure if they were from the same person though. I got to carry the eyeballs from the cargo hold to the car! There was an army person on a desk who made us sign for it, apart from the office where we collected it from. We actually collected it special from the back office from a kind old lady, instead of the deserted front office, which had a big sign that said "Photography not allowed here". 

Yes, I have cool friends. 

We got the eyeballs and came back. 

The next day, on 19th, the eyeballs were used to restore the sight for two people, who got one eyeball each. Well, technically, the cornea, not the eyeball, but it is cooler to imagine disembodied eyeballs. 

Sorry Crimemaster Gogo. 


No comments: