Sunday, May 15, 2022

Dream Diary urban exploration edition

I was visiting a relative's place. It was a swanky apartment complex. It was my aunt, living on the ground floor. It was a massive apartment complex with a huge lobby, similar to a hotel. Just off the lobby were additional spaces for residents to chill. There was a one seater sofa in a corner, with some potted plants, where one person could potentially sit and work or game or something. 

My aunt's house was at the end of a long corridoor. There was a bunch of rooms, with the kitchen just off the living room. The living room was strange in the sense that it had extreme French windows on all four walls, which was basically floor to ceiling glass with no frame. There was a white boundary marked about two feet from the edge of the glass walls, beyond which was a field, where people were playing cricket. 

This was not India, it was some south east Asian country, such as Malaysia or Indonesia, I forgot which, but the country had a definite name within the dream, and was directly mentioned. I went outside to explore the place. 

It was a huge ground, enough for 10 cricket stadiums to fit within it. There was an old, crumbling amphitheater, hat was split up into different parts. Instead of forming one continuous circle, there were four sections at the four corners of the field. 

The one on the top left had only one statue on the top. The one on the bottom right had a lineup of five intact statues. I started going around the field in a clockwise direction. Looking at all the scenery, I decided to take out my phone and take photos. Much to my surprise I found that I had a square iPhone! 

Somehow, within my dream I rationalised that this was a novelty device that was very good at taking photos. It is very close to this render that I found online: 

Only thing is there was a Joy-Con controller like attachment on the bottom which had a USB-C port, with a single belly button in the middle. That attachment made it look more like a regular iPhone. 

The bottom left corner had a temple, with the walls having some kind of old motifs. The temple was filled with Hijras, and I was taking photos. In one of the photos, there was a mirror, and other people were coming in the frame, and I feared they would scold me for taking photos without permission, but they smiled at me, not the camera, seemed to understand my plight, and did not seem bothered by my photography. In a room adjacent to the one with the mirror, people were serving food, like the traditional Brahmin food served in weddings, but in a buffet system where people had to collect the food, instead of the servers going around distributing it. 

I did not eat. 

My relatives had to go out later in the day, and I had to catch my flight back before that, and they were making food just for me, which I was to eat once I was done with my urban exploration. 

I then headed towards the middle of the field, which had some old giant eroded sandstone blocks, think red stonehenge in a billion years. There was a pig near one of the blocks, a bull near another. I avoided the animals. Right at the centre of the field was what looked like a dilapitated building, which had graffiti and vegetation growing all over it, and a crowd of kids doing nefarious activities. 

Seemed like a cool place to hang out, so I went towards it. There was a gate next to the building, and I peeked inside. Two people were sitting behind a table, with a money box on top. Beyond them was a shaded area, where there were a lot of plastic tables and chairs, where a seedy crowd was drinking and eating questionable meat. 

I did not eat or drink. 

I turned around and hopped on to the front seat of an auto guy, who was headed out towards the gate. He ignored me while I hitched the ride. I remembered thinking of paying the richshaw guy but realising I had only rupees. That country dealt in Rupaiyahs. I imagined within the dream, the rickshaw driver going home to his wife and showing off the fancy Indian currency he got from a strange, lanky customer who rode on the edge of the front frame of the rickshaw, even though the back seat was empty. 

People were playing cricket. There were two people in the middle of the field, and they started swimming through the field! One went off to the bottom left, and the other went towards the abandoned building in the middle. 

I then went to the bottom right amphitheater, and photographed a lone statue of an angel. Several vultures flocked around it. Below is a very accurate recreation. If there was a machine that could record dreams, this is exactly what it would have seen: 


Then I went back home, where the home cooked food was waiting for me. I left my shoes right next to the door, and went inside. I woke up just as I entered the kitchen. 

No comments: