Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Dream Diary extra rooms edition

So there is renovation going on in my building, as well as the building next to mine on the other side. In Delhi, apartments are stacked like containers, with two sides of the buildings having no windows at all. These are long, straight and narrow apartments, actually known as compartment apartments. The only window in my house is a skylight, and one in the kitchen that has a splendid view of the staircase. Throughout the day there is hammering, scraping and drilling noises, in addition to the construction workers talking loudly with each other, the malik and their wives. 

I went to sleep in the middle of all this noise. 

Dreamed that my house was opening into other rooms, something that has happened before. These rooms sprung me by surprise, it was like rooms within my house that I did not know existed. Some were behind boards, others were behind doors, some where newly constructed doorways. What was happening was, I was waking up, going back to sleep, going to a weird room, waking up, being disoriented, wandering around the house looking for the extra rooms in my half asleep state, then going back to sleep, and dreaming of the extra rooms. 

The whole block is constructed like one building. The balconies extend out into the road. The houses within the blocks intersect with each other. No two floors have the same floor plan. The steps are also weird, first storey may have triangular steps, second may have square steps... fortunately, there are no cylindrical steps so far. Then there are the illegally constructed 'barsati' floors. 


Think of these as different versions of the same rooms. They might look pretty normal, but take a closer look, they are all pretty eerie. 


No comments: