Monday, April 25, 2022

DD Runpo edition

So had this dream where I am somewhere near Fountain, and I am actually driving my own car. A few people ask me if I can give them a lift to a certain point. I agree. Around Lok Puram, they asked to be dropped off, and I do. Then for some reason, I walk with them, leaving my car behind. They are truckers, and they get into one and drive off. There is a ragpicker at the place where the truck was parked, and he starts shuffling down the road. As the truck drives off, a ladder on the side falls off. The ragpicker starts laughing, then encourage my attempts to hook the ladder to the side of the departing truck. I am unable to make it catch. The ragpicker is just looking at me blankly. I see a tarp covered tapri and some carts on the right, and I hide the ladder between them, telling the ragpicker, "don't worry, they will be back to where they had parked the truck, and find the ladder."

I then find a big sack of garbage, made up of beer and acohol bottles, and start lugging it towards a garbage dump I know is around the corner. The ragpicker follows me, eventually lagging by around 40 metres. Just as I cross the road, I turn back and see the ragpicker being accosted by the police. 

I quickly run to where the bins are and drop them off. Im in Vasant Vihar now, my house less than 500 metres away. I look back from the bins and see the ragpicker gesticulating at the police, and I can somehow hear him, across the distance, saying "you let the bigger fish go saheb, there was one with a lot of alcohol who just dumped it, and he is going in that direction". The ragpicker is pointing down the road I am going to take. 

I use the cover of darkness and trees to rush down half the road, till the school parking lot. Then I see the police running up the road. Already, multiple teams have moved in. These are some strange future police in blue uniforms, not khakis. I have no clue where that comes from. I stop running, as it is bound to be suspicious, and I know that police are trained to run faster than regular people at least. 

Sure enough, one police runs right past me and takes a cut to the left. Then two more rush past me, without giving a second glace. I start running now, as I have a legit excuse, something is up, and I am scared. A whole squadron of police officers are now running up the road, one of them is on a cycle, and he notices me. He asks me why I am running, I tell him I got scared seeing all the police going somewhere. He asks to see my id after stopping. I give him my phone, wallet, keys and everything. He looks at the id, and takes it to consult with some cops in a car. I am rounded up with a few other 'suspects'. 

I do not know how the situation escalated. I could have easily told the police I was moving the garbage from a random location to the dump, and that the ragpicker is just making sure he is not getting exploited, and misleading the police. 

Anyway, all the police are sitting together in the Jeep, comparing ids and knowing there is no way to figure who their person is. They look flummoxed. I wake up. 

In thane, among those who loiter about Upvan lake, the vendors at thane station, traffic police bandobasts for helmets, and some other popular shady hangouts, there is an established system in place where miscreants, criminals and louts (or couples, dopers and pokemon aficionados) warn of incoming police... everyone cleanly moves away, and circles back into position once the police have passed, after catching whatever stragglers they can get their hands on, or newbies who have not entered into the system yet. 

Also, we had a code name for police. It was gandhagi. It just spreads everywhere. 

I am missing running from the police lol. 

No comments: