Monday, December 19, 2005

How I made Ruskin Bond laugh


The point of this whole post is to note the fact that I made THE Ruskin Bond laugh. In Dan Brown style, he had written this short story on djinns, as if they were true. I told him that I believed the story when I read it as a kid, he laughed and replied that the story, was indeed, true. Nice rich laugh. Pretty jovial author actually. The cool thing is, to describe the story, both of us waved the hand in the same manner, conveying the same message. The story was about this djinn (an entity with the ability of extending his arms like the stretchable guy from the fantastic four) whose hands got cut because of a weakness for long haired females.
Maybe I should also make note of the premise. There is this Rupa book festival going on, and Ruskin Bond had come along with Vishal Bharadwaj for some of the events there. I went over with a friend, and we purchased books just to get them signed, and both of us were dead broke at the end of it. But we now have signed copies of Ruskin Bond books, AND I made him laugh.

They also screened an edited version of the Vishal Bharadwaj film based on the Ruskin Bond book, the Blue Umbrella, which was also screened at the Goa film festival. Vishal Bharadwaj is the guy behind Makdee and Maqbool.

It was one hell of a movie. Recognized some of the supposedly Himalayan locations to be Lonavala though. Cannot fool regular travelers, and I am not a regular one at that.

2 comments:

filterkaapi said...

yeah u made Ruskin Bond laugh. but i made him talk to me inspite of the fact that i ignored his presence.

filterkaapi said...

n BTW the places were Garhwal in UP. i also hav d pics in GTVM(garhwal tourism vikas mandal) brochure.
the water-falls were in upper Garhwal which hav a strikin resmblance to the sahyadris in monsoon.