Saturday, December 17, 2005

Visions - 2005

The text from all the weird letters inviting celebrities, judges, and other prominant people for things like the workshops or special lectures are all on a CD which are sure to provide many interesting blogs. There are also a few pics which I have to put in later, but here is a compelete overview of the fest.

Around three months ago, we signed up as volunteers for the fest. I got in mainly because they wanted me to handle the website, and I thought that this was a pretty cool thing for them to ask me to do. However, I came in the first day and told my core that I was going to Bangalore (soon to be bengalooro). Came back from the trip and found that people had already been working their asses off for a month. dove right into the work, and did important things like the design for the i-cards for all the volunteers, the prom nite passes as well as some of the typing for the brouchure. The website was ready but it never really came out. The poster and the broucher were both fucking amazing and far better than any previous SIES product, and much better than in fact the mood-i poster. Dhruv, Ranjitha and Eddie are three people who simply have to be named in this context. Since the names of these people are all over the brouchers distributed to all the colleges that participated in the fest, I will not hesitate to take their names.

So work kept pouring in for the competitions and such and I mostly took out printouts with Hardik (Hard Dick) and Prashant, two other people in the Comp Admin portfolio.

Back then there were quite a few meetings and I missed most of them, but the few I sat for had exteremely entertaining fights between members of the core comitte, mostly revolving around the mistaken (probably) notion that there was some jhol in the marketing department. I did not believe a word of it, but the fact that the whole portfolio was not professionally handled was aparent. That's all I will go down THAT road.

Visions started off, and although the rock show and all the stage events were the best that ever came out from the college, the security failed miserably. People were going around wherever they pleased, non-volunteers were roaming about with leaked i-cards and worst of all, people were not reporting for their duties. I ran around taking the printouts for all the competitions, and finally started work for the second day as well. In fact, finished the work for the third day on the second day, and therefore was practically free for two out of the three days of the fest.

The second day, the security situation deteriorated even further with participants occupying the seats reserved for the chief staff members, resulting in a sitation where the principal herself had to sit on a chair that a peon got out specially for her. The prom nite was on the second day, and it was more or less a sucess, only problem being that the Dj sucked.

I have to mention the admin team of Sharit, Sunny and Shilpa who I shared the office with and were the nicest people I've ever met.

Third day security AND events went haywire. There were flaws in many of the competitions, people were roaming about the college doing what they pleased, and worst of all, food coupons for the volunteers mysteriously disappeared. The ex acl for the fest showed up and taught a few people a few things, but the wrong bunch of people got yelled at. But it was the last day and the fest just happened despite the glitches, and almost everyone cried at the end of it.

The marketing team gave out coke to all the volunteers, and one thing I learnt from the fest was how to open a cola bottlecap using your teeth. You bite it off in the middle.

1 comment:

filterkaapi said...

hey u drinkin coke after creatin a hole in the middle has given me an inspiration to embark on a journey of SELF-DISCOVERINESS.