Saturday, November 26, 2005

Seminar on picking a career

Volunteering is one of the most boring things I've ever done. Ther's no work all day long, and the workload comes in sudden burst and you are expected to do everything at once. So I had finished doing everything at once, and was resting in the quadrangle, yesterday, when this ingenious teacher came and asked all us free volunteers to head over to the reading hall for this seminar on choosing your career. Apparently, they did not want an empty lecture hall, so they threw us all in there.
Damned people. Atleast I got a seat on the last row, where we could while time away at peace, pass comments, and even dare to listen to snippets of the match over radio. The lady presenting walked in, and I expected her to be so pathetic that she'd do a stand up comedy right there.
She was so good that she did a stand up comedy right there. The match was uninteresting, we were steadily losing wickets, so it lost its appeal. Anyway, not having a mobile phone myself, had to depend on neighbours for the updates. I listened to her instead, and she was pretty good.
some tips I picked up include
1) Every chapter that you read while studying for any exam can be a career of its own. In every science, com or arts book, each and every chapter must be looked upon as a career option. This struck me as a cool piece of advice.
2) Make sure there is potential for growth
3) Have eyesight, insight and foresight.

The rest of the seminar consisted of how to choose a career, judge its suitability and other such things, punctuated by jokes that while being laughed at out of politeness, it was a politeness that wasn't at least, too easy to fake. The kind of jokes that would make forty something half-educated middle class men laugh.

I would have otherwise missed out on this opportunity if I wasn't thrown in there. Definately an improvement from last time, when they gave us a brouchure, and were totally ignorant about what it all was about. I still ended up in a media related course though.

No comments: