Saturday, March 05, 2022

Losing respect of shopkeeper

 We all know that expression from the shopkeeper when making the choice of a product and negotiating the price. That look of disappointment you see when you know you have gotten a female grandchild, or said female grandchild is opting for an intercaste love marriage. 

In Mumbai, you get that expression when going for the cheaper of two options, say an original Apple adapter and cable and a fake one, and you just chose the fake one. 

In Delhi though, things are different, you get that expression when you go for the more expensive option! Or, if you surprise the shopkeeper by not bargaining! You gain respect by going for the cheaper option. Needed a type-c adapter, instead went for a type-c cable that I could use with any USB drive. Despite perhaps getting a lower margin, shopkeeper was happy with, and understood my choice, and threw in a 50 bucks discount over the MRP of 250 on the adapter. He did not give me any discount on the adapter, which had an MRP of 800. 

Reminds me of another time, during my first few days here, when I had not learned to bargain yet. It was the first time I was getting tissues and toilet paper. The MRP of everything was 150. When I gave the shopkeeper 150 bucks, he waved the money at two other women customers and said, "look at this sir brother here, paying 150 rupees for goods that are worth 50". He felt bad taking the money that was printed on the package. The women also teased me saying you give the money and discount what we want to buy. 

Since then I have learned to bargain for everything in Delhi. 30 rupee string to make sure spectacles don't fall off can be brought down to 20. The only fixed prices are the share rickshaw rides and the metro fares. 

So the first time I got an extension cable it cost me 750 bucks, as per MRP. I got two more from the same guy, and the discount came down to 350, once I became a regular customer. Basically in Delhi, all products have boosted MRPs, meant for bargaining. If you don't bargain, you are a royal idiot. Things are not as simple as walk into the store, check the MRP, and pay for it. Start at 1/3rd the price of everything. 

No comments: