Saturday, August 27, 2005

janmashtami

The tense is fucked up in this post, but anyway:

So early morning I get up and go back to sleep thinking there is loads of time left for college. A friend calls me up to find out exactly how much time is left for college, and I mumble something similar to “loads” and go back to sleep. Then I switch into the state of half sleep which is supposed to be the optimum working condition, and remember that I went to sleep without bogging, so I blog.
Now it normally takes an hour and a half to go to college. An hour and I could just about make it last year, being five minutes late, if the railways are working properly and I choose to go by rick instead of the usual bus. Forty minutes before the lecture starts, I realize that I am late, and I head over to the college. I also pick up a book that I am supposed to study, which will help me for a surprise test which wasn’t going to be much of a surprise. I was, at that point of time, intending to read in the train.
I sleep in the train. Some kind of law in the universe makes you get up five minutes before the train comes to a halt at the station you want to get down at.
I reach half an hour late, and the teacher has only reached twenty minutes late, and she was busy scribbling something on the board. That was the test.
I open up my text book underneath the table, intending to copy, and realize that I have gotten the wrong text book.

It was just a filthy five marks test, where you just have to enter random numbers. I hope that my test was reasonably accurate, because I managed to copy from a friend who at least pretended to know what he was doing.

Five minutes after the test, we were given an assignment to be submitted the next day (tomorrow) about… about a VERY complicated economics concept that I have no idea about. And now I am blogging instead of studying.

So after college, I head over to play cricket at a friend’s place. Scored a run, got someone out.
During the course of the game, this guy gave a galli that goes like “chipkali ke jhat ke bal
(pubic hair of a garden lizard), and I pointed out to him that garden lizards being reptiles, hadn’t evolved any pubic hair. This is what he did when I said this:


Two hours later, I was looking at the eagles concert in another friends house who lived 26 kilometers away. Huge day.

But that wasn’t the end of it.

Then I headed over to the self proclaimed “largest dahi handi in the world’ at panchpakhadi. The main handi was worth 1,11,111 but the total prize money was 11,11,111. The handi was about forty feet in the air, and this event was like a rock concert for the masses. I mean there was as much festivity and aggression in the air as is there in a rock concert. Only, people weren’t doping and drinking here, but were still having the time of their lives by singing and dancing to the tunes of the really sad DJ.
First these mandals came and just built the pyramids without actually trying for the handi. A load of obscure little filmstars turned up, not big, but bigger than the crowd. There was one Sharad Kapoor, no one has heard of him, but he came like a huge star and was pretty much treated like one. Then there was also that loser son who tried to marry Madhuri in Hungama. After that, the real thing started, but I came off much before. Here are some pics:


This is one of the three Aaj Tak Manchans used to cover the event. Huge structures had two storeys of cameramen in them. The cameramen were frequently signalling the crowd into go into a frenzy for the camera.



This is one of the tallest towers made while I was there.



Small kids like this one were the most jostled about, thrown around and generally pushed to the very top of the pyramid. Kids as young as three were dancing on the shoulders of their whatevers.



This is an image grabbed from the television that was covering the same event (I am one of the faces on AAJ Tak, Sahyradri and InMumbai!)

Amazing sight.
I am sure lord Krishna will not be too pleased with the fact that his birthday is celebrated by people swaying to the lyrics “mere saath, koi raat guzare; tujhe subah tak mein… karun pyaar…” but what the hell, it was fun.

No comments: