Sunday, August 14, 2005

Mosh Mania!!

Yeah I ended up going for that show eventually, but first things first.

Did a lot of first things today:

1) For the first time in my life I was thrown out of the class.
Because I went late, the prof who wasn impressed by me told me no, but praised me in the class later. I was taken as an exapmle for the entire class, to teach sociology, because I was so expressionless that no one ever knew if I was crying or laughing.
Then he added that I was a good boy.

2) For the first time in my life I went to the JAM HQ.
So it is in the middle of this shiv sena area, around four minutes walk away from where my friend lives. This is the entrance to the place I am going to work for someday. I had gone there because a friend had some work. Nice place, the comps have those chewing gum tatoos on them, and there were loads of papers pinned here and there. The flannel board had the Rani Mukherjee poster, and there were JAM stickers lying around all over the place. This is the entrance:



3) For the first time in my life I went to a rock concert.
After visiting the JAM HQ, I headed over to Mosh Mania at goregaon sports complex. I didn't know which train to catch from Dadar station, but it was pretty easy, I just had to follow the black t-shirted guys all the way from the station.
So I caught up with friends at the complex, entered the concert, and boy was it fun. Moshing was totally awesome, bumped into old college friends by mistake. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana and Linkin Park were mainly portrayed on people's t-shirts. In the forefront, people were headbanging. I learnt the art in my first concert itself. It really shakes up your head, if you lift your head, wait for a second, and let it follow gravity like hell. Your neck should wrench, and the top of your head should hurt. The music was so loud that it was actually beating my heart for me... there were police discreetly hidden in the crowd. Try to find (two of) them:

Xaero and Them clones rocked, and I will blog about Pentagram later. Helga's Funk castle, PDV, and one more band played.

4) For the first time in my life, I saw how weed was rolled
The air was thick of second hand smoke though - second hand weed smoke. Guys at the back were getting stoned out and doped. One guy came up to me with a cup of coke and asked me to half empty it so that he could mix in the vodka he had smuggled in and drink the rest. I obliged, happily. Then another girl and this guy started smoking, and got out some weed. Looked like chewing gum, the wrapping atleast. They were searching for something to roll it in, and it was a very interesting process. They tore half a paper plate, and there was some weed ready to be smoked.

I joked to a girl that some grass near my foot was hitherto weed to me.

Two minutes later:

5) For the first time in my life, I smoked weed.
Honey with a tinge of pepper. I hadn't even smoked a ciggerete till then. So smoked weed before cigs, so a first time for mankind. Hadrly noticed the smoke coming out of my mouth. There was just this flavor of honey in my mouth, and that was it. I didn't get a high or a kick or anything. It was actually boring: nothing whatsoever happenned beyond the point of putting the honey taste in my mouth, which the girl who smoked said was the flavor of the paper. Next time I want something like it, I will have a spoon of honey instead.

All the guys sitting in this pic are stoned out. There is a huge baloon 7up to notice in the background, which charged people started molesting, so it was taken away.



6) for the first time in my life, I got something meaningful over bluetooth.
Some guy sent me this video shot there where someone burns paper or something. Will compile all the videos I have into a proper video...

So far I have only gotten virus files over bluetooth...

Again, the police come into picture.

The last band that played, pentagram, especially Vishal, I think that's the name of the lead singer, was hated by the audience. Frankly, their music was pretty good, but the crowd did not like his attitude or something. So they started throwing bottles onto the stage, and the bald fellow replied by saying things like "we came here to play for you" but only used the words "motherfucker" and "pussy" much more.
He ended up throwing a ten kilo mike stant at the public, which hit this guy who began to bleed profusely and had to be taken out, and all hell broke lose with people shouting things like "pentagram ki maa ki chut" and that fellow replying "I will come to your fucking houses and fuck your mother's pussies, that's why you are here in the first place."
He had to be restrained from coming off stage and hitting people.
I liked Randolph, the guitarist though.
The people in turn had to be restrained from the police.
The final product being, no one got the three autographed Joe Sat guitars that were promised. Damn.

There is this misconception, probably due to old hindi movies that the police are late. WTF? Mumbai police can smell trouble even before it happens. And they have this weird strategy of being on the side of the public. Some guys were thinking about formally complaining against the lead singer, and the police officer actually said "woh taklya ko hum sambhalenge"
cool eh?

sceptre666@hotmail.com => The adress of the band, Found that out in the PR that the guitarist was doing outside. Everyone said they loved his playing.

Uneventful homebound journey via train 7) for the first time in my life.

4 comments:

Ar said...

hmmm, good to hear abt the mumbai police getting out of their leniency robe or where they in it? dunno...but, guess u had rocking time there with the weed and head banging and all...yes, u described HB perfectly, it shakes ur head up!

Arjun said...

Many firsts, eh?

Never liked Vishal's attitude; they had come to our college; the music was good; they weren't.

Never tried weed; been offered, though; tried snuff from a Swedish friend; wasn't intoxicating one bit!

Goan Pao said...

jeez..pentagram is still playing those guys ought to grow up...I can vouch for the fact that I heard pentagram play about 10 years back..I bet he must have done atleast one Pearl Jam number..coz the dude does a wicked eddie vedder impression..good to know that people still doin the same old shit at concerts...I bet what you smoked was not weed...most junta are oblivious of the fact of what constitutes weed..and rolling it in ordinary paper does not help either...plus you ought to inhale let the smoke linger and them exhale through your nose...dont ask me how i know so much, just an after effect of being to innumerable concerts during my college years...was surprised that you called it weed...it used to be called grass..guess people are picking up on american lingo...
good for you dude..I always did want to visit the JAM HQ...I got my photo on JAM once was some guy reporting at Mood I.
Gosh I miss college...

Anorion said...

Elf: I think the Bombay cops are pretty efficient but too easily purchased. They way they handled the Bombay Blasts was admirable.

Arun: Yeah, I guess I will look back at this and say "those were the days"

Lipids guru: I am going to come up with a way to fry your stupid bot ass.

Couchpotato: Like I said, honey should give you the expirience

Gaon Pao: Ok, I left out some details in the weed rolling bit, he emptied a ciggerette, mixed something in his hand after rolling something that looked like dry porridge on his hand, and then the girl went looking for some paper. An old bus ticket and a visiting card were amongst others refused. I think it was weed because the girl had come back from America and was this kind of person who had kind of seen it all. She had gone to Ozzfest, so if she said it was weeed, and it wasn't, I Shudder to wonder what it coul've been...
And that's probably why I called it weed to, because the america returned called it weed. It is still called grass by the locals here...