Saturday, April 02, 2005

The igloo.

dumb thing mae up of only triangles, not a single one of which are equilateral though they appear to be. There is a differencr of three inches. So I come home, and started doing this right away... this is what i basically started with - a stack of paper.

2:00 pm.


then I started rolling up paper and taping them, and made a total of 65 such paper tubes.

3:45 pm


Then I cut the tubes to different lengths, one set of 35 tubes of length 71 cm, and another set of length 66 cm. Difference of five cm.

4:05 pm


Had to mark the smaller ones so that I wouldn't get confused. things started taking shape pretty rapidly from then on. Wont explain much, the progress cam be see. the last photo ws taken at 6:20 pm. The sunlight is very bad indoors at my house, so the photos had to be taken using flash...



this is the basic bottom layer, with ten tubes of length 71 cm. It was only then that I finally began to understand the size of this thing. It is HUGE.



then I put twenty tubes around the periphery of the base, which both switched as well as alternated. Or rather alternated in pairs. Like long tube - long tube - short tube - short tube - long tube - long tube etc....


then made triangles out of the pairs, but this can hardly be seen. the thing was so huge, that I was unable to find a point in my house from where I could photograph the entire thing.


things started taking shape, and I worked another row of triangles on the first row.



this was ready just before I went to play badminton...

i just remembered that i had set the flash to low intensity to photograph the coke-can lantern of yesterday. Or mebbe day before. forgotten totally. short term memory. Think it is yesterday.
BUT was able to use photoshop to give the effect of a better flash... and this is what it looks like now. Even thouh will blog a better photo of it tommorrow in natural light, and try to get the whole thing in one frame...




therefore absolutely no work on the animation, and its too late now. will probably go to sleep. Next project in mind: a mask made out of cds...

No comments: