Monday, June 20, 2005

The very forgetable interview

I want to forget about it, but I want to blog about it before I do...
wierd thing. Anyway, here goes.
I was waiting in the Library with some people I had met around, and this girl came up and asked us to write a serial number next to our merit list number and sign. Basically, we got to decide when we would go for the interview. This guy was really nervous and shaking all over. I was really nervous, but just knew that I shouldn't shake. Only I had an Idea of what could come - he didn't. We were sitting in front of two people who had no idea what would come, and who were busy chatting about who would be a more appropriate idol for them - John Lennon or Kurt Cobain. One was this guy who studied in a foreign board from calcutta, for edexcel and had thir really wierd hair. The other guy had combed up his wierd hair for the interview. the calcutta guy hadspent the previous night at velocity. That's a club.
But the guy sitting next to me and me were reflected over the word "studds" on the second guy's helmet. I told them what was likely to come "why did you do this course?" and "why do you want it in this college."
The appropriate answer would be to string a few random words together and include the phrases "creative thinking" and "language abilities" along with "an ample scope for creative expression" somewhere.
I tutored them for a while like this, and intimidated them, and finally, even the two people who party regularly (probably are losers) got nervous. Our Serial numbers came up, and we had to go sit on this tiny table along with a few other people. This was the final line - or so I thought. After waiting there, and looking around in the library and seeing the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica for the first time is a pretty unimpressive sight. Basically, you think, why the hell would someone waste all that paper now that the net is here.
There were also around twenty volumes of the encyclopedia americana, around that many volumes of the encyclopedia of social sciences and shit like that...
At this point of time, it was just about to be my turn next when this guiy showed up, and started asking the people co-ordinating the whoile thing about the nature of the interviewers. There was a khadus pair and an OK pair. I got the Ok pair, thankfully, as I was sent up to have the interview.
There was this small wooden cabin with two wooden rooms, and I had to sit on this yellow chait outside. Soon the other guy joined me, and we talked with a girl standing there. she told us that she would'nt have gotten through with today's competition. She was only in the second year. She scared us more than consoled us. It was my turn next. I smiled, confidently and went into the room. I went in and saw this girl showing them drawings. He told me to wait for five minutes. I began to walk out, when I was directed to a door I had hardly noticed. No one else was in there but the two interviewers.
One was a perfect Journalist stereotype. Jeans and Kurti and long wavy hair. the other had a blue top and did not speak much, was probably a in-house faculty.
The first one did most of the asking, and would have played the role of Rita Skeeter very well.
But she was a very sweet lady, or a very sarcastic, peevish lady, can't figure out which.
I think she was a sweet lady though.
Anyway, as soon as I entered, she asked "so gentleman, why is a gentleman like you (someone who has taken Science) not doing engineering or medical". She hadn't asked me why I was doing journalism, but why I was NOT doing engineering or medical. I launched into my prepared answer of why I was doing Journalism anyway.
Really want to forget the rest of the interview, but i did really well till this one question. But I evened it out, and gave te right impression in the end. In fact, the interview was amazing...
only in the end she said a pretty confusing phrase, which is still bloody troubling me.
"Hope you get in somewhere, dear"
What the fuck does that mean? Either way, are theylikely to tell me? Will they tell me I;ve got throguh? Will they tell me I haven't?
A friend went to the same college, for an interview, and she got through to KC - Khalsa college, not fort KC. She said, they had said at the end of the interview that "hope to see you in KC."

Everyone around me thinks I will get throguh, but I had serious doubts. Now I am somewhere in the middle - just hoping that I get in.
But I am convinced that the parting line was just to move things on, and finish the interview on a positive note.
THEY SHOULD BLOODY LEARN HOW TO DO IT.
OR I SHOULD BLOODY LEARN NOT TO BE SO PARANOID.
The REAL problem with this whole situation is that if I don't get through, I will not know because of what.
I really want to forget about this.

No comments: